Saturday, July 12, 2008

Rhubarb, Beets & Swiss Chard, Oh My!


Delilah the cow and Lucy & Lola at the farm where we joined a CSA. I'm kind-of hoping Delilah doesn't make it into our meat share - she's so cute and only a little bit bigger than our St. Bernard. In the photo Lucy (the taller girl) is sporting a headband made from a 100% polyester recycled tie - pattern is from Nini Makes.

We have been receiving our Vegetable share for at least a month now. All I have to say is WOW! The lettuce is amazing. On our 1st tour our farmer said that salad dressing was to hide the taste of store bought lettuce - that his lettuce would hold its own in a salad. Was he ever right.


And, thanks to the CSA, I have used Rhubarb for the 1st time in my life. I made a rhubarb crumble and a rhubarb cake. The cake is pictured above - covered with whipped cream & since we were out of normal ice cream an ice cream sandwich to top it off. I'm partial to the crumble though. I love oatmeal and cinnamon together.

And, I just had beets for the 1st time as well. Well, I mean, probably like others I have had the canned beets from the store that taste - um - unique. Let me tell you - fresh beets are unbelievably yummy! We had them boiled and made borscht that was okay but not great.

Tonight I'm off to find the New Moosewood Cookbook because it supposedly has the best chilled borscht recipe and our library won't open again until Monday & I need to make this now. Well, tomorrow. Along with a Swiss Chard and Artichoke dip I found on a new blog (new for me) Farm Girl Fare (see - get veggies you normally don't buy and it sends you searching for recipes all over the web).

Happy Eating!

2 comments:

mysteryhistorymom said...

What a fun day! I wish I could taste some of that lettuce- yummmmmy. Lori

Anonymous said...

Fresh veg - just the best. Nice surprise to see the headband too - great idea using old ties!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails