Monday, April 28, 2008

Ode to Freecycle (TM)

I do not have a fabric stash. Thanks to freecycle that all changed this weekend.

What’s Freecycle? It is a grassroots non-profit movement where people give and get things for free.

I have given away items in the past but never really thought of asking for anything until this past week. My daughter wants to learn how to sew. Her one friend has a Hello Kitty sewing machine and makes things and another friend sews so, why can’t she? Well, if I had a bigger fabric stash I wouldn’t mind her experimenting, but I don't have a lot of extra fabric for a child to just play with or practice sewing. But she was adamant. Ergo, like any mother looking to please her child while not wanted to spend a lot of money, I put out a WANTED request on Freecycle and the nicest people in the world responded.

One woman e-mailed me about a quilt she had cut out but had never sewed together and another woman had a bunch of fabric scraps to give me. I got the quilt the very next day. The main fabric is a fish fabric and my daughter LOVES fish. I told her it is something we will do this Spring / Summer as a together project. The other person gave me a bunch of zippers and scraps and yarn – just the perfect stuff for a girl learning to sew. We can make a crazy quilt together. There is some heart fabric that is adorable and there are quite a few ‘large’ pieces of it (at least eight inches by eight inches). When I asked her what she wanted to do with it she said she wanted to make her sister a love frog out of it so they could each have their own. Such a great kid. Such a great goal.

She had her first lesson on the sewing machine today and couldn’t have been any happier and neither could I.

My little plug for freecycle is this – visit their website. See if there is a freecycle group near you. If there is, join it and help keep items out of the landfill.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails